Sunday, April 20, 2014

"I had a dream I found a baby girl in our barn!" a then 11 year old Emma excitedly told me upon waking.  Emma wanted a baby sister and thought this might be an omen.

9 months later Norah came into our lives. I always tell Emma she willed Norah to us.

When Norah was born, the nurse looked at her and said "Norah is a strong name. She will be a strong woman."  She said it like she knew. 

In a family with 2 Libras and 2 Cancers - plenty of water and air - Norah is our earth.  She is our Taurus.  She is intelligent, strong (body and will!), comforting, steady and reassuring. Her strong will sometimes gets her in trouble (bedtime anyone?)- but I know it will serve her as she grows.  

In addition to her strength and intelligence she is full of little-girl-magic: singing, dancing, make-believe, belly-laughs, sparkles and glam.  In this moment she is still in a realm of innocence - and I treasure this moment - I know that these next few years are a threshold.


Emma gave me a gift  when Norah was born -  a tiny matchbox with Norah's newborn picture tucked inside like a little treasure. On top of the box she wrote:


"You've gone
through a lot
and have had 
good times
and poor -
in this box 
is what you've 
been working for."

Since then, I've added 2 more wee pictures to that box - for all 3 of my loves I am most grateful and humbled.  And today - on her 8th birthday, for Norah.







1 comment: