Saturday, June 21, 2014

Goats




Where do I begin?  
It has been quite an adventure with these three.  
Exploring adequate fencing, 
(we've had numerous escapes - putting my Tiger Lilies in grave danger)
trying to figure out feeding, 
getting used to the routine involved of tending to them twice a day.  





It has been altogether a quiet and pleasant event, the milking of Mama. 

Our milking stand is outside since there is no room in the small
 barn for anything other than 3 goats.

 I russel the kids into the barn with their bucket of feed, close the door and bring Mama Ethel onto the stand with her bucket of feed. 

This is quite the process: 
involving loud and chaotic "Maaing", 
jumping goats, 
and the pulling of baby goats off of me... 


...but once settled in Mama eats contentedly, 
and I can milk her.  




Goat tending is a work in progress - 

They came to us from a farm where 2 lifetime dairy 
farmers were their caretakers.  

 So I do appreciate their patience with us.








~ j



No comments:

Post a Comment